Three Bean Chili recipe
As any plant-based athlete knows, chickpeas and beans won’t let you down. They taste great and they’ll fill the tank so you can get moving.
This easy chili combines those staples with the vibrant flavours of chili powder, cumin and jalapeño for a dish you can return to time and again. Don’t feel like you have to wait for the chilly winter months for this recipe – it’s just as tasty cold, too.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large carrots, sliced into rounds
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ tablespoon cumin
- 1 795g can diced tomatoes
- 1 425g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 425g can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 425g can white beans, drained and rinsed
- Fresh coriander, for serving
- Toppings (optional): Plant-based sour cream, shredded plant-based cheese or chili sauce.
- In a large stock pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, carrots and jalapeño and cook until soft, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the chili powder and cumin and cook for 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add the canned tomatoes, chickpeas and beans and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, until flavourful. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper if you like. Serve with fresh coriander and other toppings of your choice.