Sheep in Australian bushfire

Australian bushfires: Useful contacts and animal rescue resources


We’ve compiled a list of useful contacts and animal rescue resources to help keep your loved ones – including your animals – safe during the Australian bushfire season.


New South Wales

NSW Rural Fire Service has a live map of all fires.


VIC Emergency has a live map of all incidents and warnings, and you can also download the VIC Emergency app to your phone.


You will find bushfire warnings on the QFES website and QFES Facebook accounts. 

South Australia

SA Country Fire Service has a live map of bushfire conditions

  • Their Bushfire Information Hotline is 1800 362 361.


New South Wales

  • If you find injured or trapped wildlife, please call WIRES on 1300 094 737.
  • WIRES has a list of advice for helping wildlife during bushfires, such as leaving out bowls of water or keeping a cardboard box and towel in your car.
  • If you come across injured whales, dolphins, seals or dugongs contact the 24 hour ORRCA rescue team on 02 9415 3333. 


Northern Territory

  • For injured wildlife in Darwin contact Wildcare on 0408 885 341 or (08) 8988 6121, Alice Springs 0419 221 128 and Katherine 0412 955 336.  


  • Bonorong Sanctuary (03) 6268 1184 

Western Australia

  • If you find injured wildlife contact Wildcare (08) 9474 9055 . 


  • ACT Wildlife 0432 300 033 all species except kangaroos
  • Environment ACT via Canberra Connect 132 281 for kangaroos 
  • RSPCA Wildlife (02) 6287 8100 


  • RSPCA QLD 1300 ANIMAL (1300 264 625) - All Areas 
  • Wildcare (07) 5527 2444 - South East QLD - Brisbane, Gympie, Toowoomba & Gold Coast 
  • Far North QLD Wildlife Rescue (07) 4053 4467 
  • Tablelands Wildlife Rescue Inc (07) 4091 7767 - Cairns and surrounding tablelands 

South Australia

  • Fauna Rescue SA has 24-hour hotline for injured wildlife on (08) 8289 0896
  • For koalas call 1300 KOALAS (1300 562 527)
  • For bats call 0475 132 093


  • To make preparations for your pets in the event of a bushfire, we have created a checklist of items to include in a Pet Disaster Plan. Download it for free for your dog, cat, horse or small animal at

New South Wales

  • If your farm animals has been affected in the fires, contact the Agricultural and Animal Services Hotline on 1800 814 647 - You can also use the hotline to request or collect emergency fodder.
  • Animal safe facilities are available for people who need to relocate their animals, including specialised large and small animal facilities.


  • For issues concerning wandering or inadequately confined farm animals call your local council. Find yours here.
  • Landholders who need emergency fodder and those who want to donate it should call the Victorian Farmers Federation on 1300 882 833.

South Australia

  • If you are a farm animals owner seeking assistance with injured or burnt animals contact the PIRSA bushfire hotline on 1800 255 556.
  • Farm animal producers requiring fodder, or those wishing to donate can call Livestock SA on 8297 2299.

(Image Credit: Peter Tremain)

Plan ahead to protect your pet

Natural emergencies can occur at any time, and without a plan you could make panicked decisions that threaten the safety of your pet, yourself and your family.

Support us

Your support is key to bringing an end to animal suffering across the world.

More about