Australian bushfires: Useful contacts and resources
We’ve compiled a list of useful contacts and resources to help keep your loved ones – including your animals – safe during the Australian Bushfires.
WARNINGS AND ASSISTANCE
New South Wales
NSW Rural Fire Service has a live map of all fires.
- A list of evacuation centres is here.
VIC Emergency has a live map of all incidents and warnings, and you can also download the VIC Emergency app to your phone.
SA Country Fire Service has a live map of bushfire conditions
- Their Bushfire Information Hotline is 1800 362 361.
New South Wales
- WIRES has a list of advice for helping wildlife during bushfires, such as leaving out bowls of water or keeping a cardboard box and towel in your car.
- If you find injured or trapped wildlife, please call WIRES on 1300 094 737.
- The Victoria DELWP has an injured wildlife tool, helping you to contact the most relevant shelter or service.
- If you find a sick of injured native animal, call DELWP Wildlife Emergency on 136 186.
Fauna Rescue SA has 24-hour hotline for injured wildlife on (08) 8289 0896
- For koalas call 1300 KOALAS (1300 562 527)
- For bats call 0475 132 093
PETS AND FARM ANIMALS
- To make preparations for your pets in the event of a bushfire, we have created a checklist of items to include in a Pet Disaster Plan. Download it for free for your dog, cat, horse or small animal at protectyourpet.org.au.
New South Wales
- If your farm animals has been affected in the fires, contact the Agricultural and Animal Services Hotline on 1800 814 647 - You can also use the hotline to request or collect emergency fodder.
- Animal safe facilities are available for people who need to relocate their animals, including specialised large and small animal facilities.
- For issues concerning wandering or inadequately confined farm animals call your local council. Find yours here.
- Landholders who need emergency fodder and those who want to donate it should call the Victorian Farmers Federation on 1300 882 833.
- If you are a farm animals owner seeking assistance with injured or burnt animals contact the PIRSA bushfire hotline on 1800 255 556.
- Farm animal producers requiring fodder, or those wishing to donate can call Livestock SA on 8297 2299.
- Information on air quality and health messages for NSW, VIC and SA.
- Access mental health support through Lifeline’s 24-hour counselling service on 13 11 14. They have tool kits for people recovering after a natural disaster.
- Emergency housing is available for those directly affected by bushfires through Find a Bed (call 02 7202 6588) and the Airbnb Open Homes program.
- For disaster welfare assistance, such as shelter, food or water please call 1800 018 444.
- If you’ve been affected by the bushfires and need to claim assistance, please call: 180 22 66. More information here.
- If you are in a fire-impacted community please ensure the needs of yourself, your family, neighbours and community are met and follow the direction of local authorities.
- Conservation Volunteers Australia has been selected to coordinate the national environmental volunteering response to the bushfire crisis. Visit their website to apply to volunteer for bushfire response and recovery.
- If you are a qualified veterinarian, please contact Vets Beyond Borders.