5 quick questions with City2Surf Gold Runner Lisa
Ahead of the Sydney City2Surf, we caught up with animal lover, conservationist and activist Lisa Patterson. We are incredibly grateful Lisa has chosen to run this iconic event for World Animal Protection once again.
Have you run the City2Surf previously?
Yes - I was lucky enough to participate in the 2014 City2Surf as a gold runner for World Animal Protection and I absolutely loved it!
What can new runners expect?
Tonnes of fun! While Heartbreak Hill certainly lives up to its name, the rest of the course is lined with live music acts, people cheering and all sorts of crazy costumes. It definitely helps to take your mind off your sore muscles and keep the energy up!
Tell us why you decided to become a gold runner for World Animal Protection?
The incredible work that World Animal Protection does for animal cruelty is inspiring, and an issue that is very close to my heart. So the chance to help by raising funds as a gold runner, for me - was the very least I could do. Plus, it's a fantastic way to spend a day!
Do you have any fundraising tips for other runners?
- Be completely open and honest about what the cause you're supporting means to you. I think that by explaining why you believe supporting a cause is important, it allows others to understand and relate.
- Have fun with it! There are so many different ways you can fundraise - the more creative, the better.
- Persevere. Sometimes you might feel as though your fundraising has hit a little bit of a slump - keep going! I promise a slump never lasts long & there are always more people out there who would love to help you!
What is your favourite animal and why?
This is always such a tricky one for me! But I think growing up by the ocean has instilled a real respect for sharks - they're beautiful, elegant and such important creatures, & they need our support more than ever at the moment!
Do you want to be a Gold Charity Runner?
If you’re keen to run in Sydney’s City2Surf on Sunday 14th of August and help raise funds for animals in need, then entering as a Gold Charity Runner is the way to go. Here are just some of the benefits:
- Free City2Surf race entry, official photos, goody bag and a t-shirt
- One-on-one support to help you achieve your fundraising goal
- The triumphant feeling that comes from knowing every dollar you raise is saving animals all over the world from suffering