Animals in farming: supporting 70 billion animals
The majority of animals farmed for food live in conditions that cause suffering and stress. It’s time to rethink farming.
Humane slaughter. Better for animals – and better for business
Join the campaign for an Independent Office of Animal Welfare
Help end this cruel trade in live farm animals.
It’s time to improve animals’ lives, for good
The global farming challenge
The treatment of farm animals is the world’s biggest animal welfare issue – and it’s getting bigger. By 2050, livestock production will be twice what it was in 2000. Right now, more than 70 billion animals are farmed for food each year – two-thirds in conditions that mean they can’t move freely or live naturally. We campaign for progress at every stage – from farming to transportation to slaughter. And we know change is possible – since 2009, our humane slaughter training has made life better for eight billion animals.
Animals in farming: our work
- We move governments and global bodies to improve regulations to protect animals.
- We influence debates that will shape the future of world farming.
- We partner with food businesses to change the way they work and protect animals.
- We work with farmers to demonstrate practical and affordable ways to protect animals.
- We encourage people to choose food produced in line with high welfare standards.