An Independent Office of Animal Welfare
- Research shows the Australian Government is trailing behind countries like New Zealand and the UK on its national commitment to animal welfare – as a consequence Australian animals are suffering.
- Cruel practices such as the use of sow stalls, battery cages, and body mutilations without pain relief are still legal and common practice.
- While Australian people and business are seeking animal welfare improvements: in 2013 our government defunded national frameworks for animal welfare and stepped away from its leadership and coordination role.
- Without national leadership, community consultation and balanced dialogue, progress on animal welfare will not only stall, but could go backwards.
- We are calling for an Independent Office of Animal Welfare.
- We have an opportunity to create a better life for the millions of animals in our care. We need the government to provide leadership and re-establish national frameworks to drive progress and reform.
- The introduction of a dedicated Independent Office for Animal Welfare: to advise, consult, lead and coordinate our country, states, territories, and communities, to better protect and care for our animals - will help to give Australian animals the future they deserve.
What are we doing?
- We are leading a movement calling on the government to step up, lead and coordinate efforts to better protect and care for Australian animals.
- Together we are lobbying for every major party to commit to the establishment of an Independent Office of Animal Welfare.
- We have produced a report highlighting the need for national frameworks.
What can I do?
Write you your local MP and show your support for an Independent Office of Animal Welfare.